David C. Smith
David C. Smith: Cinematographer, Cinema Technologist, CEO and creator of DrivingPlates.com LLC, the world leader in 360 motion environments for driving scenes in television and films. Recent projects include Bohemian Rhapsody, The Post, The Irishman, Narcos, This is Us, and hundreds more. From the success of DrivingPlates.com, David and his business partner created Third Law Productions: a full service production company specializing in VFX production services. Under the Third Law moniker Smith has provided set extensions, 360 elements, VR R&D and custom camera systems for projects such as Joker, Creed II, Man in the High Castle, and Stranger Things. Since Third Law’s inception in the fall of 2017, they have produced a first person VR short, three feature films and a feature length documentary. Third Law was also awarded a Clio in 2018 for their work on the 360 Behind the Scenes featurette for Mission Impossible: Fallout.
David’s background is in cinematography, with over twenty five years of experience, he has lensed over a dozen feature films and numerous national commercials for companies such as Keystone, Meguiar’s, and Jaguar. In addition, he’s DP’d many reality based shows such as Living With Ed, Overhaulin, Car Crazy, Punk Payback and Are You Faster Than a Redneck, which required a staggering 45 cameras including 7 units shooting simultaneously.
Throughout his career, David has always been a forward looking technologist and inventor. In service of a creative vision, he has continually innovated the techniques and tools for bringing a story to the screen. The patented camera array at the foundation of DrivingPlates.com is one such innovation that has become the industry standard. With an eye toward the needs of the next generation of content, Smith is pursuing multiple endeavors that promise to impact narrative production for decades to come.
The gear he has used
- Sigma Camera MC21 L-Mount to EF
- Wooden Camera L-Mount to PL Mount Pro (Panasonic and Leica) https://woodencamera.com/products/l-mount-to-pl-mount-pro-panasonic-and-leica?_pos=1&_sid=0fd7712a1&_ss=r
- Wooden Camera UMB-1 4×5 Studio Matte Box https://woodencamera.com/products/umb-1-universal-mattebox-pr
- Wooden Camera Zip Box for Drone
- Wooden Camera Panasonic S1 Unified Accessory Kit (Base) https://woodencamera.com/products/panasonic-s1-unified-accessory-kit-base
- Zacuto Prototype Cage for S1 and S1H
- DJI Ronin MX on DJI Matrice 600 Drone https://www.dji.com/ronin-mx?site=brandsite&from=nav
- DJI Ronin 2 for everything else not drone
- Atlas Lens Co. Orion Anamorphic lenses in focal lengths of
- 32mm T2
- 50mm T2
- 65mm T2
- 100mm T2
- Xeen 24mm on Drone . http://xeenglobal.com/
- Tilta Nucleus Follow Focus
- Formatt Hitech 4 x 5.65″ Firecrest ND 1.8 Filter
- Decimator Multiplexer for Anamorphic Desqueeze – http://decimator.com/Products/MultiViewers/MultiView.html
- Dana Dolly
- Motocrane Ultra